Risen Against Gravity

GenSephyr

I've moved my blog and portfolio to http://fusedthought.com/en/blog. However, this site will still be kept as an archive...

Individual entires can still be accessed using their trackback links.

Thursday, February 15, 2007

hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia

Its been sometime since I blogged as I haven't switched on my computer for about a week or so. Many things have happened.... New friends were made, but sadly, some were lost.... Well, back to the blog topic....

hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia

A friend was telling me about a long word in a dictionary. Well, what can I say. Long words are intriguing.... we just cant get enough of it.

Remember Mary Poppins? There was a song with the word: “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious”. The word is obviously not a real English word. However, there are real English words which are just as long. One example would be “Antidisestablishmentarianism”

There is even an hypothetical disease of the lungs, caused by inhaling mineral or metallic dust. The name of the disease is: “pneumonoultramicrosopicsilicovolcanoconiosis”

For the uninitiated, according to Wikipedia, hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is the fear of long words...

The word itself is an irony.. as a person who has sesquippedaliophobia, would fear the word itself.

So after this post, I hope no one gets hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia!!

(N.B. All meanings are obtained from Wikipedia)

No comments:

Content and Layout by GenSephyr. Copyright © 2007 GenSephyr All Rights Reserved

Site designed with Open Source Technologies.